Tuesday, September 7, 2010

World's Best and Easiest Salmon

I have had some salmon from Trader Joes in the freezer that needed to be cooked.  I downloaded an application for my iPhone called SparkRecipes that is pretty much a data base of healthy recipes. I searched for salmon and found the World's Best and Easiest Salmon. What's not to like with best and easy?
Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup of pure maple syrup or honey (I used honey) 
- 1/4 cup of soy sauce
- 2-3 cloves minced garlic
- 12 ounces fresh or thawed salmon

Directions:
- Combine the honey (or maple syrup), soy sauce, and garlic in a large   ziploc bag.
- Shake the bag to mix it up.
- Put the salmon in for 1 hour in the fridge (flip the bag over half way through)
- Put the fish in a baking pan, pour the sauce over it, cover with foil
- Cook at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until the thickest part is flaky (mine took closer to 25 mins.)
- Makes 4 servings. 1 serving 216 calories and 7 grams of fat which equals 4 WW points.


I obviously need to register for some bake ware for my wedding since all I had to bake this in was a pie dish.  I served the fish with green beans, a baked potato, and white wine.  I was excited to use my new wine charms that JMJE gave me.  Check her charms out at her Etsy site.  She actually also gave me those wine glasses for my birthday which were much needed. We no longer drink wine from regular glasses or even worse a plastic cup. 




The finished product I thought was pretty good. The soy sauce and honey balanced each other out so it wasn't too sweet or salty. Matt said I should make it again sometime so I am guessing that means he likes it.  I think it would take a lot for him to not like salmon though. He could eat fish most nights of the week.


4 comments:

  1. Soy sauce is always good on salmon. Nice wine charms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenni! I can't believe you posted this today because I took salmon out of the freezer to defrost so I could have some for dinner tonight! and I was wondering how I should cook it. found this recipe for a honey mustard glaze to cook it in and so I was thinking about that but now I think I will change my mind and do this recipe that you show above... thanks! excellent timing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you make it Shanzie? I hope you liked if so!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did make it- I only made one piece because it was just for me and so i cut down all of the ingredients by 1/4 but i think i went a little too heavy on the soy sauce... It was still really good but next time, I will measure more precisely because i really just threw it all together. I made a salad with it and I had one mini piece of pita bread leftover from making lunch sandwiches last week so I toasted that up and ate that too. I will definitely make it again- and I have lots of salmon in my freezer- it was on sale at Harris Teeter not that long ago (the individually frozen ones). Yummmm.... Thanks Jenni!

    ReplyDelete